Here are 10 ways that my life is probably different from yours:
- I use a tiny prepaid phone that does not have a camera nor is even capable of receiving a picture message.
- I watch TV maybe once every 2 months.
- I walk to and from work and have consequently worn-out 5 pairs of shoes in 7 months.
- I get to eat better food than you (i.e. baleadas, pastelitos, tortilla con quesillo y chismol, tajadas con carne molida, taquitos, pupusas, quesadilla [like a cheesy cornbread], yuca frita, tostones, etc.)
- My salary is probably half or even less than half of what yours is.
- I often eat/drink things out of bags (i.e. water, mustard, mayo, ice cream, beans)
- I am surrounded by unspeakably beautiful scenery: flowers, mountains, etc.
- If I were to quote Madea, Bon Qui Qui or Nacho Libre no one around me would think it was funny.
- I don’t actually know the recent viral videos or blockbuster comedies to even quote…
- Several times a week a horse-drawn wooden cart passes by on the street, at school we have to wait for cattle to clear off of the kids’ “soccer field,” and occasionally a student will bring his pirated movie business to class.
And I can confidently say with a smile, I love my simple Honduran life.